First Hope Reformed Church

First Hope Reformed Church - (Church Histories) Historic Churches & Temples
The first Hope German Reformed Church in Stony Plain was a log building located 2 miles north of the town of Stony Plain along what is today Highway 779 on the left side going north. The church could seat about 50 people. Parishioners sat on wooden chairs. The interior was very simple with a raised platform at the west end of the structure. The furnishings were also very basic with a pulpit, communion table and a single chair for the pastor to sit on. A reed organ was used to supply the music and it stood in front of the church as well. The outside roof of the building had roughly cut slabs from the logs used in the construction of the church. The building had a pot-belly stove that was located in the center of the building to heat with. The logs on the inside were plastered with mud and dung mixed in straw and whitewashed with calcimine. The building was constructed in 1898 and served as the church until 1912, when the second church was built by the pioneering German-Russian immigrants. (courtesy: pencil drawing-Reuben Bauer)
Buy now

McDougall Methodist Church


Also in: (Church Histories) Historic Churches & Temples

Brush Hill Reformed Church
Brush Hill Reformed Church
Salem Reformed Church - APW6135
St. Jean RC Church
Bellis United Church BEL-174-2
St. Peter's RC Church  CDSC0029
Josephburg United Church DSC5056
McDougall Methodist Church
St. Norbert's RC Church
First Baptist Church - DSC-0139
First Baptist Church - Interior - DSC-0073
Hope Reformed Church
Peace Reformed Church
St. Nicholas Church
Chancel First Baptist Ch Calgary